Almonte Gravel Express
The Almonte Gravel Express is a 90% gravel route on the edge of the Lanark Highlands near Almonte, Ontario. With tons of gravel roads, unmaintained roads, ATV trails, hydro-cut and some singletrack, this route is perfect for those looking to get out for a one-day ride, stay off the pavement as much as possible and have a good ‘ole time in a beautiful piece of the Ottawa Valley. This route is the perfect mini-adventure as it has all the key aspects to a quality bikepacking route such as the Canadian Shield routes.
This route was developed by Chris Panasky, creator of the Bikepack Adventures Podcast.
- Gravel roads: As with most routes so close to civilization, it can be quite the challenge to avoid pavement. This route gives you a massive amount of gravel to crush.
- Rail trail: Have a chance to relax as you ride on the OVRT for 10km and enjoy the crushed gravel trail.
- Hydro-cut and ATV trails: These will challenge your mindset and willpower, as they continuously go from fast and flowy to really route and chunky.
- Unmaintained roads: This route will take you through several unmaintained roads, which have an even mid of beauty and challenge.
- Rivers and lakes: This route will take you along lakes and rivers for nearly the entire day, giving you ample places to stop for a rest or swim.